Pages

Monday, May 7, 2018

Pink Professional Tote Bag

How about another coordinating item to add to my travel sewing machine? This was my second Professional Tote Bag. Although this is not an easy tote to construct, it is just wonderful for carrying items to and from my sewing activities. Did you notice my name tag/badge I created for my ASG meetings? If you look closely enough you can see the ASG reference next to the scissors - coolie moolie!




I also included the travel strap which I omitted on my last Professional Tote and it works perfectly with my Tutto sewing machine carrier.




The side pockets are perfect for carrying water bottles to quench my thirst during all that hard work.



For those of you who aren't familiar with the pattern, here it is:

Professional Tote Pattern

Want some helpful tips in creating this tote?

- I have seen many color configurations of this tote, but I prefer the bottom, trim and straps out of a dark contrast to the lighter patterned bag body
- I used Pellon Decor Bond and it takes forever to bond it to the fabric. Take your time and ensure you have a good firm bond or the result will be wrinkled
- Don't be afraid to modify the pattern to meet your own specs - I have changed interior pockets, removed the interior zippered pocket on both totes and constructed it with and without the travel strap
- The old rule of always purchasing a little extra fabric absolutely applies here - you can easily create coordinating items for your tote - how great are matching little bags, sewing accessories or other items?
- If you plan on matching the fabric patterns on the front and back remember to purchase extra yardage to make it happen. I like to match if at all possible - even the travel strap above is matched.
- Take your time and realize that this is not a fast and easy tote. I sew it in sessions, with breaks in between each to avoid mistakes. I talked to some women who have made multiples of this bag and can sew each bag in one session, but that is not me. So I accept it and don't let it discourage me. Plus it's fun to enjoy the journey.

Anyhoo, have fun and be prepared for all the "oohs" and "ahhs" you will receive when you strut your stuff with this functional and gorgeous tote.

So what's next? I'll be posting my coordinating Sew Together bag next. So keep a sharp lookout for the next scissors session.



No comments:

Post a Comment